Brilliant Earth Day Children’s Books – Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970. It is now an annual celebration of almost 200 countries on the 22nd April to demonstrate support for protection of our environment. Here are some of my favourite books, both story and non-fiction and spanning a range of ages. They are books to help your child develop an environmental understanding of the world through stories, facts, beautiful illustrations and images. Each book helping you to explore the topic at home with your child. They’re in no particular order.
Shop small, independent booksellers. Click on the ‘more info’ links for further details, descriptions and prices. You will be taken through to Yes Bebe an independent children’s bookseller.
1. Compost Stew – Mary McKenna Siddals
2. Florette – Anna Walker
3. We Planted A Tree – Diane Muldrow
4. We Are All Greta : Be Inspired to Save the World – Valentina Giannella
5. The Journey Home – Frann Preston-Gannon
6. A Stone Sat Still – Brendan Wenzel
7. Mama Miti : Wangari Maathai and the Trees of Kenya – Donna Jo Napoli
8. I Love the Earth : A Journal for Celebrating and Protecting Our Planet – Rachel Ignotofsky
9. The Big Green Activity Book
10. Our House Is on Fire : Greta Thunberg’s Call to Save the Planet – Jeanette Winter
11. Follow the Moon Home – Philippe Cousteau and Deborah Hopkinson
12. One Day on our Blue Planet: In the Rainforest – Ella Bailey
13. Lift-the-Flap Questions and Answers about Plastic
14. Dr. Wangari Maathai Plants a Forest – Rebel Girls
15. Dear Earth – Isabel Otter
16. Tidy – Emily Gravett
17. Greta and the Giants – Zoe Tucker
18. I Love the Earth – Todd Parr
19. What A Waste: Rubbish Recycling and Protecting our Planet – Jess French
20. My First Book About: Our World
What books do you love about our planet? My daughter Floss is 3.5 years old and we will be focusing on recycling for Earth Day this year. I thik it’s really important to focus on age appropriate activities for children to keep them engaged.